Before You Buy a 3-Phase Converter
There are many phase converters on the market and, provided they are properly sized, most will work well. Unfortunately there are no industry standards that apply to phase converters, so to guarantee you are getting a price on phase converters of identical capacity, you must know the right questions to ask. You’ll find tips on this page to help you avoid paying more for less. But the best tip of all? Buy from a company that will ask you these questions in the first place to ensure you get a 3-phase converter that will do the job — Kay Industries.
Here are some things to look for:
- Never compare phase converters solely on their nameplate HP rating.
- Always ask for the NEMA frame size of the phase converter you are being quoted. Compare prices only on phase converters of equal frame size, not equal HP.
- Never believe anyone who tells you that you can get the same output from a smaller frame size.
- Always ask for the weight of the phase converter if you can’t find out the frame size. Weight is a great proxy for phase converter capacity. A 150 lb. phase converter absolutely cannot do the same job a 300 lb. phase converter, regardless of its nameplate rating. That’s just common sense.
- Never buy a phase converter that runs at 3,600 RPM unless it comes with earplugs
- Always insist upon automatic controls if your load cycles on and off repeatedly. It will save energy and pay for itself.
We strongly recommend to all 3-phase converter purchasers that they ask these questions of their prospective supplier before placing an order and reject any phase converter supplier that cannot or will not respond.
- What is the NEMA frame size of the phase converter?
- How much does the phase converter weigh?
- At what RPM does the phase converter operate?
- Is the phase converter available with automatic controls?
In addition, you should ask:
- What is the noise level of the phase converter in decibels?
- What happens if this phase converter will not do the job?
- Can I get my money back?
- Can I get credit toward a replacement?
- What is your policy on return freight?
Buy from a company you can trust
A properly sized and selected phase converter will perform its function for years, service free and without compromising the performance of the load equipment. But the critical factor is proper sizing. Kay Industries will always ask detailed questions about your application to insure that you get the correct converter for the job.